Pages

Slider

Monday, February 3, 2014

Induced Lactation AKA Adoptive Breastfeeding Part 1

My Journey of Adoptive Breastfeeding is just now beginning but I will share it with all of you! 
I love Art Journaling, mine typically is not very pretty and a lot of times I reuse other images that inspire me. Through journaling and following other blogs is where this journey truly begins...

In January of 2013, I really started healing from the miscarriage and I wrote in my journal, "My body cannot do one thing, let's find out how many things it can do." In the past 3 years, I have tried paleo, organic, eat right for your type, acupuncture, mediation, herbal Chinese teas, yoga, all in my attempts to become pregnant. I still perform some of these items just not as drastically as prior. Now, I am on the adoption road but everywhere I turn there are things about pregnancy. Please do not misunderstand me, I am so happy to be adopting but that does not take away the hurt, that part takes patience. So anyways reading along about getting a baby and everywhere says breast milk is best for the baby. It does all these amazing things.

I think well darn that's out. But wait! It is not! 

And the research starts again, 
Donor Breast Milk: You can receive outpatient donor breast milk that has been pasteurized for safety from local banks. Our local bank is located in Indianapolis, IN. Once the baby has arrived you need a script from a pediatrician stating the amount of ounces per day for the infant. Donor milk typically ranges from $4.50-$6.00 per ounce. It arrives overnight delivery on dry ice. Outpatient takes least amount of priority first these organizations provide for hospitals, NICU, and emergency situations. There are forms that you can locate and fill out by contacting your local bank. 
Newman-Goldfarb Protocol: There are several protocols regular, accelerated, and menopause. Lenore is a great resource and her website is full of information as well as her contact information. I will be beginning the accelerated protocol this upcoming week. 
Where to obtain Domperidone: This is a list of pharmacies located on another website, where you can order Domperidone which actually comes from Canada as the FDA has not allowed its use in the US at this time. (on Lenore's website is information about the safety, FDA, and other concerns with Domperidone)

I attended an ObGyn appt and the doctor and his staff have agreed to take me on as a patient and monitor my progress throughout the protocol. The staff was wonderful and the doctor discussed my options at length with me. So the scripts are in, insurance has been contacted and I am awaiting special approval for breast pump coverage, so this is my journey to continue to discover how many things my body can do. I am excited to breastfeed my child. I hope that I will produce breast milk and a full supply would be great but some is better than none and kangaroo care stimulates development and attachment early. I really believe that this is something that is within my control to be able to assist my child's development and health. I have no control of in utero development (and you all read from my prior post how I do not do well not be in control LOL) but his development, antibodies, and health are in my/ our control the moment he is put into Jason and my arms. 
If there are questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Please review the information first as it covers many concerns of safety for mother and baby, breast milk consistency, and the research. Wish me luck but I will continue to share this part of my story. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Designed by The Single Momoirs